University of Virginia School of Engineering and Applied Science
College description: It emphasizes the role of technology as a pervasive aspect in today museum, examines new models of education, exhibition, and business strategies, and explores the role of the museum as an agent of social change.
The university take the university GPA cutoff seriously, however, the application review committee considers their entire application package. A thoughtful, well-written statement of purpose outlining their commitment to the museum field through their experience is very important. Applicant may also want to address the reason for their low GPA in their statement of purpose.
Two letters of recommendation that verify professional and/or academic accomplishment
Johns Hopkins University has rolling admissions for the program, so there is no “official” deadline or standard timeframe for the admissions process. After their application materials are complete, they are sent to an admissions review committee.
The GRE is not an admission requirement to the university program.
Letters of recommendation should be from professional and/or academic people familiar with applicant and their work. Only two letters may be submitted through the university official application process.
If applicant have already worked for a museum in any capacity, including as a volunteer or docent, please incorporate their experience into their statement. Their statement will be reviewed for content, organization, and writing style. Their statement should also be consistent with their resume.
To be able to register for any Advanced Academic Programs course, an applicant must submit all required admissions documents for the program and be accepted to Advanced Academic Programs.
Applicant are not required to have museum experience to be accepted into the program, however the review committee will take into consideration any previous museum experience as an employee, intern, or volunteer.
The Museum Studies Program offers a structured curriculum of required and core courses augmented with electives
A thesis is not required.
Tutorials and other help are always available to help applicant learn these online learning tools.
All new students are required to pass an orientation class that introduces Blackboard and its various online learning tools.
Applicant are required to pay for the return shipping fees.
Learning online requires some basic knowledge of computer technology and demonstrable computer skills.
Tufts UniversityRanked 27 in Best National University.
College description: The M.A. in Museum Education is a two-year, -credit program. Each student takes five required museum studies courses, two required education courses, and four electives relating to the discipline of the student area of interest.Museum Education Foundations Course: ED 280 Museum Teaching and Learning in the Museum.Understanding of learning and human development theories that influence museum education practice.
The master’s program in museum education prepares students to work with audiences of all ages, interests, and abilities in the informal learning environment of a museum.
Understanding of learning and human development theories that influence museum education practice
Ability to assess the various needs, preferences, and learning levels of multiple museum audiences
Ability to write for a variety of audiences at different learning and reading levels
Application of skills and knowledge gained through coursework to the real-world setting of a museum
The master’s program in museum education prepares students to work with audiences of all ages, interests and abilities in the informal learning environment of a museum.
The program will consider waiving GRE scores for those with 5 or more years of work experience in a museum setting.
Critical curatorial studies admissions
College description: The MFA in Art with a Concentration in Critical Curatorial Studies educates graduate students to pursue a career in the fields of curatorial practice, art criticism, and public programming.The collaboration between Studio Art and Visual Studies is designed to prepare graduates for careers in such visual art venues as museums, art galleries, publications, and archives.
Applicants for admission to the MFA program must meet the general requirements for admission to graduate study, hold a BA or BFA, and have completed one year of Twentieth-Century Art History (students who have not completed this will be required to do so as part of their graduate studies). Application materials must be submitted by March 1.
Applications to the MFA in Art with a Concentration in Critical & Curatorial Studies must include the following:
1. 1. Letter of Intent. The Letter of Intent should address the seriousness of applicants' intentions, experience, and motivation to enter the Critical & Curatorial Studies program. Applicants must clearly state what they want to study and what their research focus will be. Applicants must further summarize their college and/or professional experience, and conclude with what intellectual and professional contributions they wish to make in their fields of study upon completion of the degree. Length: 1000 words.
2. Writing Sample. The Writing Sample allows the admissions committee to access applicants' ability to craft an argument that is founded upon thorough research of a given topic. It may be a publication; a college paper that reflects excellence in applicants' field of study is also acceptable. Length: variable.
3. Proposed project. Applicants should imagine what a final project might be in their final year of study in the program. While this section of the application is in no way a "contract" for the thesis, it allows the admissions committee to assess the seriousness and preparedness of applicants' research. The proposal could be an exhibition, conference, critical writing pursuit, etc. Length: 1000 words.
4. Three (3) letters of recommendation.
5. One copy of unofficia transcripts from the Undergraduate institution(s) attended by the applicant. Do not send official transcripts. Official transcripts will be requested if and when applicant is admitted and decide to attend UCI.
*Please note that the Personal History Statement is not required; when prompted by the system, enter "Not Required." However, if you are admitted to the program and would like to be considered to receive Recruitment Fellowship funds, a Personal History Statement is necessary.
GRE is not required.
TOEFL is required for foreign applicants, with exceptions.
College description: Students generally complete the four three-credit graduate courses over four consecutive semesters.
TOEFL: 600 on paper-based or 100 on Internet-based
Transcripts are required from all colleges and universities attended, whether or not credit was earned, the program was completed, or the credit appears as transfer credit on another transcript.
In a short essay, state their purpose in undertaking graduate study in their chosen field.
Application Process-Museum Studies
Information for applying to the master of arts (M.A.) degree program in museum studies is listed below.
1. To be considered for merit-based awards, please submit your application by February 1
2. Online application.
3. Three letters of recommendation.
4. Unofficial transcript uploaded to the online application. If you are admitted, an official, degree-bearing transcript must be mailed to the University.
5. Personal statement/essay.
6. Academic writing sample.
8. A non-refundable application fee of $75.
9. The GRE is not required, but scores will be reviewed if submitted.
10. The TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) is required of all graduate applicants whose native language is not English.
The minimum IELTS score is 6.5 for all programs.
Drexel UniversityRanked 95 in Best National University.
Arts Administration and Museum Leadership
Winter admission available only upon receipt of special permission by department prior to application.
All documents submitted by applicant or on their behalf in support of this application for admission to Drexel University become the property of the University, and will under no circumstances be released to applicant or any other party. Please an application fee of $65 the students.S. is required.
GRE/MAT test scores are not required.
IELTS scores may be submitted in lieu of TOEFL scores
Submit their essay with their application or through the Discover Drexel portal after applicant submit their application.
Two letters of recommendation are required. Applicant may request recommendations with their application or through the Discover Drexel portal after applicant submit their application.
Museum Studies Program
College description: The KU master’s degree in Museum Studies is a 36-credit-hour program built around 3 fundamental components – Foundational courses and experiences, Conceptual inquiry and application, and Professional specialization and expertise.The graduate curriculum in Museum Studies provides a comprehensive overview of the discipline, opportunities for mastering core components of museum practice, avenues for exploring the interdisciplinary nature of museums, solid grounding in current issues facing museums, and possibilities for research to develop new and innovative approaches in the field. The Museum Studies Program’s core courses provide a foundation in the theories, history, techniques, and problems common to museums, historical agencies, and related institutions as well as the specialized operations of such institutions. The Museum Studies Program also has well-established connections with academic disciplines such as American Studies, Anthropology, Geology, Art History, History, and Natural History, and students have many opportunities to take courses in those fields. Museum Studies graduates are well-equipped to undertake professional and leadership responsibilities in museums, historical agencies, and related institutions.
Students are admitted to the M.A. program only in the fall semester. The deadline for submitting applications is January 15. The Museum Studies Admissions Committee seeks to notify applicants of admission decisions by early March.
To be considered for admission to regular graduate status in the program, a student must hold a bachelor's degree and have earned at least a B (3.0) grade-point average in previous academic work.
GRE scores are NOT required.
1. A completed application, along with a non-refundable application fee, submitted online through the Office of Graduate Studies.
2. A copy of your transcript, issued by the registrar’s office of the institution from which you have (or will have) earned your bachelor’s degree (and master’s degree, if applicable).
3. Short essays in response to three (3) of the following questions. All three essays combined – which do not need to be of equal length – should total 10 to 15 pages, double-spaced. Our goals are to better understand how you think about museums, how you approach issues in museum studies, and how well you write. PLEASE NOTE: These essays replace the requirements to submit GRE scores and a writing sample.
4. A personal statement, 2 to 3 pages total, double-spaced.
5. Three letters of recommendation.
6. A resume or curriculum vitae that lists your education, employment history, volunteer experience, internships, scholarships/fellowships, and academic awards.
7. All students are required to verify their proficiency in English.
College description: The introduction to Museology core course provides students with an overview of Museology, the branch of knowledge concerned with the study of the purpose and organization of museums.
Southern University at New Orleans allows students to do so as long as they meet the program requirements. Students can obtain a cross-enrollment form from the Office of the Registrar.
All Letters of Recommendations must be hard copies, on institutional stationery, and signed and sealed by your recommender. It is your responsibility to follow-up with your recommenders to determine whether or not your letters have been placed in the mail. You also may Letters of Recommendation with a hard copy of your application, but they still must be sealed.
And GRE is not an admission requirement.
SUNY at AlbanyRanked 126 in Best National University.
Demonstration of English proficiency , where required
Application form and admission deposit
Official transcripts are only required upon admission.
If applicant do not have the names of three recommenders, indicate “TBD” on the recommender section in the application.
If applicant choose online recommendation submission, recommenders will automatically be sent the online recommendation form once applicant save their information in their application.
The statement of purpose is “the heart of the application”. Their statement should be focused, informative, and convey their research interests and qualifications.
The PhD Programs in Biology require that applicants present scores of the GRE General Test. GRE scores are valid for five years.
The University at Albany requires a non-refundable application fee in the amount of $75.
BS degree in Biology, Biochemistry or Molecular Biology from an accredited institution