English Language and Literature
College description: The university ensure that graduate students have enough teaching experience to be strong candidates on the academic job market while also making sure that students do not have excessive teaching loads so that they can concentrate on their dissertation research. Students typically teach in their third, fourth, and fifth years of the PhD program.In addition to lectureship opportunities that are part of regular departmental curricula, the Humanities Collegiate Division sponsors five Stuart Tave Teaching Fellowships for freestanding courses designed by graduate students.Advanced graduate students from all disciplines in the Humanities Division can apply to work as preceptors in the Master of Arts Program in the Humanities MAPH.
Admission requirements for the PhD program in English Language and Literature at the University of Chicago:
1. Transcripts from all college-level, degree-track programs.
2. 3-4 confidential letters of recommendation.
3. A 15-20 page writing sample.
4. A statement of academic purpose.
The GRE scores are not required for the PhD program in English Language and Literature at the University of Chicago.
Rice UniversityRanked 19 in Best National University.
Master of Arts in Global Affairs Degree Rice University
Admission requirements for the Master of Arts in Global Affairs (MAGA) Degree at Rice University:
1. Statement of purpose.
2. Professional resume.
3. Three letters of recommendation.
4. Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended, with official degree conferral date.
Applicants are recommended, but not required to submit scores from either the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) for the Master of Arts in Global Affairs (MAGA) Degree at Rice University.
Approved TOEFL scores for applicants whose native language is not English and who did not receive a degree from a country in which English is the official language of communication.
Master of Education, English Education Integrated Language Arts
College description: The Master of Education in Integrated Language Arts leads to an initial teaching license in the state of Ohio to teach in grades 7-12. In this program, applicant’ll learn all aspects of literature, writing, English, speaking and listening while integrating the latest theory and research in the field of teaching and learning.Core courses relate to equity and diversity in education, methods of teaching and learning for Integrated Language Arts students, a master’s-level, inquiry-based final project, and an edTPA project that shows a students’ readiness to be a licensed teacher.Combined with a dedication to equity and social justice, the Integrated Language Arts MEd program is fully accredited and is consistently ranked among the top program in the nation.View the MEd in Integrated Language Arts coursework.Graduates of the MEd program earn their initial four-year Ohio teaching license while completing graduate studies.Some graduates work in legal offices in a variety of roles, the publishing field, or seek career opportunities in local libraries, as tutors or coaches, or in the field of writing.The university graduates consistently accept a variety of position in the field and are sought after locally, as well as across the nation.Prior to admission, applicants to the MEd program must complete prerequisites related to their intended licensure area.The MEd in Integrated Language Arts Education is a competitive program.Admission Considerations: all applicants must hold a Bachelor degree prior to the start of classes, minimum GPA of a 3.0, experience working with youth in various group settings.Disclaimer: Licensure requirements may be subject to change because of state-legislated mandates.
Admisison requirements for the Master of Education, English Education/Integrated Language Arts:
1. A Bachelor's degree prior to the start of classes.
2. Minimum GPA of a 3.0.
Applicants with an overall GPA of 3.0 and above are not required to submit GRE Scores for Master of Education, English Education/Integrated Language Arts.
4. English Proficiency Test Score Requirements (International Applicants only): 550 on the Paper-Based
TOEFL, 79 on the Internet-Based TOEFL, 82 on the MELAB, or 7 on IELTS.
5. Statement of Intent.
7. Three Letters of Recommendation.
Fordham UniversityRanked 58 in Best National University.
Accelerated Master Program
College description: Curriculum requirements include three core courses, seven elective courses, fieldwork, and the completion of a master’s thesis for a total of 36 units.Master’s thesis topic is directly tied to research and fieldwork.
Admission requirements for the Master of Arts degree is English at Fordham University:
1. An undergraduate degree.
3. Two letters of recommendation from English or Comparative Literature faculty.
4. Writing sample of between 5-20 pages.
5. All undergraduate transcripts.
Accelerated M.A. applicants are not required to take the GRE exam or pay an application fee.
The application deadline for the Master of Arts degree is English at Fordham University Apr 30.
French Master of Arts Miami University
Admission requirements for the French- Master of Arts at Miami University-Oxford:
1. Applicants must complete the online application form.
2. Official transcripts.
3. Two letters of recommendation.
4. A personal statement.
5. A writing sample of 10-15 pages in French.
6. International students must submit proof of English proficiency (80 or higher on the TOEFL) as well as official translations of their academic transcripts.
The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is recommended but not required for French- Master of Arts at Miami University-Oxford.
Deadline for French- Master of Arts application is March 1.
Master of Arts in Education
College description: Masters of Arts in Communicative Sciences and Disorders.The Communicative Sciences and Disorders Master Program from Michigan State University will not only give applicant the coursework needed to learn necessary skills but will also allow applicant to participate in problem-based learning designed to promote critical thinking skills and leadership.A master degree in Communicative Sciences and Disorders is the entry level degree for working clinically as a speech-language pathologist, a field consistently ranked as one of the best career opportunities in the country. Graduates of the university program work in both medical and educational settings.The university master program is designed to attract excellent students from diverse backgrounds and train them to become clinicians and leaders in the field of communicative sciences and disorders.The M.A. program in CSD is a 51 credit degree and is 5 continuous semesters beginning each fall. Applicant may complete the M.A. program by choosing one of two plans.
Admission requirements for the Master of Arts in Education:
1. All applicants must possess a U.S. bachelor’s degree or its equivalent from an accredited institution with a minimum 3.0 overall grade point average.
2. Work experience.
3. Statement of professional goals.
4. Letter of recommendation from persons familiar with the applicant’s academic and professional experience and potential.
The GRE (Graduate Record Exam) is not required for Master of Arts in Education.
6. All international applicants and applicants whose first language is not English must be able to be proficient in English as a condition for regular admission to MSU. Such applicants will be required to demonstrate their proficiency by meeting certain minimum standards on any one of the following tests:
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). A total score of 550 with no subscores below 52 (paper version), or 80 with no subscore below 19 (22 for writing section) (Internet-based version) is required.
International English Language Testing System (IELTS). A minimum average score of at least 6.5 is required, with no subscore below 6.0.
Michigan State University English Language Test. An average score of 80 to 85 with no subscores below 80, or a minimum average score of 85 with no subscore below 78 is required.
Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE A). Minimum overall score of 53; no subscore below 51 for reading, listening, and speaking; no writing subscore below 59.
Application deadlines for the Master of Arts in Education are:
June 1 for Fall Semester Admission
October 1 for Spring Semester Admission
March 1 for Summer Semester Admission
English, General Literature and Rhetoric
College description: If the student has been accepted into the highly selective Honors Program, and satisfactorily completes the Seminar and Honors Thesis , the honors seminar can be counted for one of their graduate courses.Three graduate courses will count towards 3 UG electives for BA Degree and MA Degree.In addition, to transition from the BA to the MA, the student will need to complete the former degree within 4 years.If approved, complete the Declaration of Intent to Apply, preferably by March 15th.During the fifth year in the 4+1 program, students are formally considered graduate students and pay graduate student tuition rates.The 4+1 program allows students to complete both the BA and MA in English with just one additional year of coursework beyond the standard BA degree.The stand alone MA program typically requires 3 semesters of coursework. Because the 4+1 program allows accepted students to take up to three graduate courses while completing the BA, the remaining graduate coursework can be completed two semesters. Once they have completed the BA degree requirements, students typically register for three 4-credit courses a semester.
Admission requirements for the MA program in English at Binghamton University:
1. A bachelor's degree (or its equivalent) from a nationally or regionally accredited college or university.
2. A 3.0 GPA over in the entire undergraduate career.
3. Online graduate degree application with graduate degree application fee.
4. Transcripts from each college or university attended.
5. Personal statement of 2 to 3 pages describing the reasons for pursuing graduate study.
6. Resume or curriculum vitae.
7. Three letters of recommendation.
8. Writing sample.
GRE scores are accepted, but not required for the MA program in English at Binghamton University.
10. International applicants are required to provide proof of English proficiency such as official TOEFL/IELTS/PTE Academic/Duolingo scores.
The application deadline for the are:
Fall semester: January 27
Spring semester: November 15
DePaul UniversityRanked 121 in Best National University.
English Literature and Publishing
College description: The master programs in English at DePaul University may include the writing of a thesis. The length of a thesis may range from 35–50 pages and must include a substantial bibliography. Students sometimes write a thesis to enhance their chances of acceptance into doctoral programs, but most do not require a thesis in the application, preferring considerably shorter writing samples.Any MA thesis completed in the program satisfies the capstone portfolio requirement.It is often wise to let a thesis proposal develop from a successful research paper originally written for a graduate course.After the thesis proposal has been submitted and approved by the committee, its writer may register for four credit hours of English 501: Thesis Research by using the Independent Study form. Only four credit hours of ENG 501 will count toward the Master degree, and they will count as an elective in the MAE program. Note that the thesis must be completed and approved in order for the ENG 501 credits to count toward the Master degree.Theses may be approved either as Standard or With Distinction.
Admission requirements for the MA in English Literature and Publishing program at DePaul University:
1. A bachelor's degree in English or the equivalent or a bachelor's degree in another major with clear evidence of the ability to succeed in an advanced program in British and American language and literature.
2. Applicants should have at least a 3.0 GPA in their undergraduate major.
Scores for the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) are not required for the MA in English Literature and Publishing program at DePaul University.
4. A completed application.
5. Official transcripts detailing course work from all colleges and universities attended.
6. A personal statement.
7. A representative sample of academic or professional writing that strongly indicates the ability to do well with advanced literary history and criticism.
8. All students educated outside of the United States must submit proof of their English proficiency in order to be reviewed for admission.
Master of Arts in English, Graduate Student Resources
College description: This page is meant to give general information pursuing sociology as part of the MAIS , as well as to help applicant through the process of applying for admission and moving through the graduate degree.A four-year baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university, and.Be aware that if applicant change their program in any way after it is submitted , this is treated as a new application and may not be reviewed until the following quarter.The Graduate Admissions Committee cannot review their application until it is complete.Oregon State University holds a spring commencement each year for those obtaining advanced degrees at any time during the previous academic year.
Admission requirements for the Master of Arts in English at Oregon State University:
1. Complete online application form.
2. Statement of objectives outlining research interests and how those interests align with faculty expertise.
3. Three letters of recommendation.
4. Writing sample demonstrating the best academic work and highlighting the ability to conduct scholarly research.
5. Unofficial transcripts of all previous academic work.
GRE scores are not required for the Master of Arts in English at Oregon State University.
Master of arts in nutrition and food and science admissions
College description: The university master of arts in German provides advanced training in language, literature, and culture.The university graduates have obtained employment in the automotive industry and with other private-sector employers.Students accepted into the German graduate program have the opportunity to earn graduate credit towards a Master of Arts in German while spending two semesters studying at the University of Munich.All students must first be admitted to the German graduate program before they will be considered eligible to participate in this option.
GRE test scores are not strictly required but are recommended
For applicants whose primary language is not English, completion of the English proficiency requirement, scores from TOEFL , MELAB , or IELTS , are required